Friday, January 1, 2010

December 30 - Biopsy time

After a very long holiday weekend, I had my consultation with the thoracic surgeon. He explained that I would need to have a biopsy done before any of my questions could be answered. Luckily he didn't make me wait very long. Waiting truly has been the worse part of all of this.

On Wednesday, December 30th, went into the hospital to have a biopsy done of my lymph node just above my clavicle. I was very surprised to find out in the recovery area that it wasn't just a biopsy but they had removed the whole lymph node! And hey, the less cancer in my body the better, I figure! I was also given a little more positive information, the surgeon said that it appears to be Hodgkin's lymphoma (slightly more treatable then the Non-Hodgkin's type) and the mass further down was connected to the node that he removed. But that little bit of relief was quickly replaced with new sadness when I realized that in order to take it out, he had made a huge incision across my lower neck. Wasn't expecting such a large one. I know I should not be worried buy such trivial things as scars as this point, but I can't help be a little vain even now. The biopsy results, to determine which kind of Hodgkin's (apparently there are many) and the stage of it, would be delayed slightly, by once again, another stupid holiday weekend! I thought I was supposed to enjoy these breaks from work!

No comments:

Post a Comment