Friday, September 3, 2010

Sept. 3rd - Two MICE, radiation and stem cell

That's it in a nut shell.

Met with my local oncologist this afternoon. Got a lot of answers but still have questions. No matter what, I think I will never quite get it. But I am going to attempt to explain the plan as I best understand it.

First step is more chemo, my acronym this time is MICE, the M is actually not a chemo itself but is given simultaneously with a chemo to prevent really bad side effects. I will be going to the local hospital on Thursday and they will administer the MICE over a 4 day period, so I will be going home on Sunday. I will then wait 14-17 days and have the MICE done again, this time it will be "Augmented" which just means a higher dose of the chemo will be given.

After my second cycle of chemo, I will have yet another PET scan. I hate these damn scans!! Its like hurry up and wait! Everything is riding on the results and the scan itself is excruciatingly slow!

Then I will have radiation done, not only pin point radiation, but there is a new type out there called lymphatic radiation (sounds scary). So I will get both.

If all of this goes off without a hitch then as soon as the radiation is done I go to Sloan-Kettering for my stem cell transplant.

At some point soon I have to meet with the stem cell transplant team at Sloan-Kettering, additionally I have to see the radiation team here locally, to devise a plan. These things should happen quickly, preferably before my first chemo on Thursday. So I may be a very busy girl next week.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there! Do what they tell ya! Sounds like you have your daddy's strength and resolve! Linda and I are thinking about you a lot and keep you in our prayers! Don't forget she's a pharmacist and she's your friend. You can call her anytime!

    ReplyDelete