Saturday, September 11, 2010

Sept 11th - Day 3 and a shitty one at that

Figures a day like Sept. 11th would be a bad one. We all can't forget the misery we experienced together as a country that day nine years ago. But I had a pretty bad one this year too.

After my last post last night I started to feel better and not worse, which was surprising cause I was doing the 24 "power chemo" (I like to call it that). My dr even came into see me and said there was no reason I couldn't get discharged today (a day early) cause everything was going smoothly. Well if it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

At 12:30 AM my step-sister who is an oncology nurse on my floor, came into my room to visit with me. She was not my nurse for the evening, she was not allowed to be my nurse cause of being family.

She looked at my chemo pump which at this point said it had less then 12 hours to go but immediately new that something was wrong. The other nurse that had hooked it up over 12 hours prior had never released the clamp on the line and no chemo had been flowing to me for that whole time.

She released the clamp without me knowing and let me go to sleep. Which was the smartest thing to do cause she knows I'm neurotic and wouldn't be able to fall asleep after finding out this info.

But I woke up about half an hour later extremely nauseous and the nurses all told me what had happened. I felt so deflated. Here I thought I was well over half way done with the "scary" chemo and it hadn't even started!

Since then I have talked to the doctor on call here and my doctor at Sloan and they both believe that the delay is not significant enough to be detrimental to my treatment.

I'm over being mad that it's caused me loss of early discharge and the waste of time. Just scares me that such things can happen even to diligent patients like myself. This may be my last chance at a cure and I don't want stupid little errors like that to potentially hold me back.

No comments:

Post a Comment