Thursday, December 23, 2010

December 24th - Full Circle (damn you cancer)

Well it's only midnight (stupid insomnia). But the 24th of December last year was when the tumors were initially found. So while I'm really trying to keep the "Holiday Spirit" it is hard, especially knowing not only the past, but all that lays before me.

At my appointment at MSKCC (Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center) this week I felt very overwhelmed. I knew what to expect next, it just made it so much more real on paper.

Okay so here's the synopsis of it. I saw both they radiation oncologist and my stem cell doc. they both agreed that my most recent PET scan looked pretty good from what they could tell. The final results were not to be available until later this week.

What they pressed upon me during my office visit, was not to get hung up on whether the PET scan was completely clean or not. The important thing is that they feel I am good enough to go into transplant. So honestly I've decided that I do not want to know the official results, I have to make it thought the transplant regardless and I might as well have as much hope as possible right?

I will go for a radiation simulation (set up) on Jan. 4th. Then I will begin one week of 2x a day outpatient radiation on Jan 10th. At the end of that week, on the 16th I will be admitted to the hospital for my transplant.

Once I am admitted, I will undergo another week of total body radiation and then 4 days of chemo before my transplant

So here I am, full circle. I really thought I would be cured at this point. But now I am just hoping to survive to see another Christmas.

3 comments:

  1. One very tough year is behind you. Glad thats over!
    So now you get a chance to spend some time with your family over the holidays for some renewed inspiration. The timing of that couldn't be more perfect! Merry Christmas Jessica & family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica, I am so glad to hear they said your PET scan looked good (at least from the initial results). I have been checking every day to see if you found out lol. I know what they have planned next is scary (I would definitely be scared too), but you are so close to being done with all of this, and from what I have heard the success rate of the transplants are good - in a few months you will have gotten through it, and next Christmas this will all be in the past. Have a great Christmas at home with your family and then go kick this thing's ass once and for all! Good luck I will be thinking of you/praying for you each day as always :-) <3 Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jessica! I think that's a really good idea you had, to do what you can to have the most positive outlook before going into this. It sounds like the initial results look good, and we are very happy for that. We will be keeping in touch, and we wish you all the best.
    Colin & Zade

    ReplyDelete