Sunday, November 7, 2010

November 7th - Chemo again tomorrow already

I really don't feel prepared for more chemo again tomorrow, mentally or physically.

My body is tired. It is not bouncing back anymore between chemo treatments. My first GND chemo treatment two weeks ago, did not go so well. I was very anemic already going into it and my doctor said my bone marrow is "tired". I was told that this type of chemo was NOT nauseating so I wasn't given the normal premeds that I have taken in the past. We started the chemo and I had a very bad reaction to one of the drugs in the regimen. My face and ears turned hot and bright red, I was dizzy and short of breath. They stopped and restarted the chemo 3 times to give me more steroids to force it into me.

The following night after treatment (Tuesday) I got a severe headache, similar to the headaches I was getting after the ICE chemo. Early the next morning, I had to go back into the hospital because I couldn't stop vomiting. They gave me dose after dose of anti-nausea medicine, but it wasn't until several hours later that I finally stopped getting sick. Then I spiked another fever, had to get iv antibiotics again and yet another blood transfusion. I was released from the hospital on Friday.

I saw my doctor again this week, and we discussed the situation. I will be taking all of the premeds this time for nausea so hopefully I won't get so sick this time around. They will also give me a large dose of steroids and benedryl before starting the chemo to hopefully avoid the adverse reaction I had last time.

Wish I had better news to report. Hopefully tomorrow will go more smoothly,

3 comments:

  1. hey jess, its colin from gildas club. it was really encouraging to see you at cancer club the other night. you can do this. you have it in you. dont think about anything else but what you need to do to beat this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maryann DeThorne AckleyNovember 10, 2010 at 7:14 PM

    Jessica, this is the first chance I've gotten to read your blog -- since I just heard about it today. Wow. You are such an amazing person and my thoughts and prays will be with you through your ordeal. I've always thought of you as such a strong woman and I truly believe that your strength will get you through this. You are an inspiration. I look forward to continuing reading your blog and can't wait till you write that you are cured -- I have faith it will happen for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maryann, that is so sweet of you to write! Thank you so much - Jessica :)

    ReplyDelete