Thursday, October 21, 2010

October 21st - The violet bracelet epidemic


When I found out that I would have to postpone my stem cell transplant and stay here locally for a couple of months of "less aggressive" chemo, one of my first thoughts (well my first thought without expletives) was, "I need to spend the next few months reclaiming MY LIFE!" I don't want to just sit around and think about cancer. I asked the doc if I could go back to work or not. He gave me the green light and today was my first day back at the office since the end of summer.

A big part of my life before cancer was my job. And I miss it. Not so much the actual work, although I do like my work (most of the time). But what I have really come to miss the most is my coworkers and feeling like I have a purpose outside of the home. I really have to say that I have the most amazing and supportive coworkers in the world (and I'm not just saying this cause they read this). They are all really like a second family. And just like in a family, I am closer to some then to others, and sometimes we have our disagreements, but at the end of the day, we are all there for each other when it matters most.


All this being said, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when a group of my coworkers decided to put together a fundraiser for me. Anyone who knows me in real life knows that I hate to have attention on me, so I was a really anxious when I first heard about it. Don't get me wrong, I am extremely appreciative of the support, I just don't like the spotlight. I also never wanted to be a "charity case". But I think I am starting to see things a different way after today.

As part of the fundraiser, a close friend/coworker, started selling violet color wrist bands in support of me and Hodgkin's awareness. She ordered a bunch online and started selling them at work as part of the fundraiser. All of this was going on while I was out of the office for my last round of chemo. She wore hers one day when she visited me and told me she had been selling "some" around the office. I was flattered that anyone would buy it and actually wear it. I guess they sold way better than she thought and she had to order more at one point to keep up.

When I went to work today, there were violet wrist bands everywhere! Not only were the people in my office buying them, but people in other offices in the building were also buying them! People I don't even know who I just see in the elevator lobby are wearing wrist bands! Everyone had them on, male, female, younger or older. Nobody seemed embarrassed to be wearing them. There were 60 year old male attorneys in suits were wearing them proudly!

So I get it now. It's not so much about raising funds, it's about showing support, friendship and selflessness. I have never seen such camaraderie. It's amazing how something so simple can make someone feel so loved and appreciated. :)

2 comments:

  1. This made me cry. It is so warming to hear of all the love for you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so touching me so much. I believe that there are working truly good people at the office where you are working and that must feel so good for you.
    I love the idea of the violet bracelet, and their support for you.
    I support you in my heart and in my prayers , that's all what I can do for you sweetheart.
    Praying for a miracle for you, cause miracles are still excist.
    A warmhearted hug ♥ from Holland, Marianne

    ReplyDelete