Tuesday, November 23, 2010

November 23rd - 3rd GND and other random things

First off, I have to say the fundraiser was a success! It was perfect, so many of my friends and family came out to show their support. It was very touching, for me, my husband and son. I will never forget that evening and looking back on it will help me to keep going in the difficult months that lay ahead. It was so sweet of my coworkers to organize it and donate baskets to be auctioned. Even with all this shitty stuff happening to me, I still am truly blessed to be surrounded by such caring people. I don't know how much was raised yet, but with the turnout we had, I'm sure it will take a big dent out of my travel and lodging expenses in NYC.

Now for the not so great update. My appointment yesterday was concerning. I saw the my local dr before chemo and she explained that she had received a new email from my doctor at SK and that his directives were different then how she interpreted them the first time. Basically that instead of getting GND every other week, I am supposed to get it every week! Eight treatments instead of four! Needless to say, I was very upset and confused! This is my life at stake! If it has not been given as often as it should be, then how is it going to be effective against this super aggressive cancer!? I couldn't have been more clearer with my SK dr about this regimen, and my husband was there at that appointment and agreed with me that the dr said, more than once, that it was to be every other week, 4 treatments total. My local dr apologized and said she agreed with me and that she had interpreted his directives the first time the same way I did, but going forward it would have to be every week and I would have to try to get more in before the stem cell then initially planned! I was so disappointed! I had this all planned out with me going back to NYC to begin right at the first of the year and this would push me weeks back. I was in tears in her office so she emailed my SK dr again to express my concerns.

Then, she gets an email from him again saying the opposite from the previous email. That we had been right all along and it was supposed to be once every other week four times! WTF, people! Are they trying to kill me!! This isn't like screwing up an order at a restaurant! I could have died from being over treated and I would have if I had gone alone with it!

Of course I called the SK dr this morning, and he did not want to talk to me but I persisted. When he finally did get on the phone he did exactly what I thought he was going to do and put the blame on my local dr for misinterpreting the email and suggested that this is what happens when you do the chemo elsewhere (although it was he that told us that it didn't matter where we did the chemo initially).

In the end technically, no damage was done. But I don't trust any of my doctors anymore. They seriously could have killed me if I hadn't been so vocal about it. But I'm just a patient name and ID number for billing purposes right? So sorry for the run on posting, but I needed to vent.

5 comments:

  1. I can only be thankful that you are as vocal and on the ball.....YOU are in control of your health. Thank God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michele. But I'm a nervous wreck right, turns out harm may have been done. It came to my attention after I wrote this that I may have been given the wrong dosage of chemo yesterday, due to the "miscommunication". But I won't know until my dr is back in the office tomorrow : (

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so awefull to read.
    We are thinking that we can trust the doctors for the fullest, cause our lives are laying in their hands...
    But we must be very clever, and coming up for ourselves, cause they are making mistakes too, and blaming eachother for it, and all above your head.
    But it is your body who is fighting against this agressive cancer, and it is not about someone who have just a broken leg or so.
    What they are thinking, that they can play with your life !
    But thank God that you are so vocal...
    and I can say that this is hurting me to read this, but it is hurting you so much more sweetheart.
    But thanks that there were some good things too,
    I'm happy that the fundraiser was a succes, these people are loving you so very much !
    You can feel it in everything you wrote...
    I hope it will give you strenght.
    And you carry this beautiful moments forever in your heart.

    I hope so that the dosage of the chemo was not the wrong dosage...
    It is all so sad, and I understand it, when you are angry about it and scared.
    I would that I could put my arms around you, to let you know, that I'm thinking every day of you, and I'm praying for you my dearest Jessica.
    A very warmhearted hug, Marianne, XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there Jess! Good for you for having the nerve to trust your instincts and call and bother them. Unfortunately the squeakiest wheel gets the grease, so continue make a damn racket!!!

    My whole family was touched by the support that your friends and family showed at your fundraiser. My kids even put their own allowance down on some of those baskets! I'm so proud of them for that. They wore their purple pins for days- even on their pajamas. 5yr old Emily told grandma all about you and explained why she wore the pin. That's a lesson I don't think we could have ever taught them without this whole crappy cancer experience. Maybe together we'll all managed to squeeze an ounce of lemonade out of this truckload of lemons.

    Beth and I are going to Gilda's on Thursday (hopefully I have the date right!?!). Hope everyone can make it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tim - Thank you so much for coming to show your support! You have a beautiful family and I am amazed how caring your children are! I can't believe they put their allowance in for baskets, how sweet of them! I know this whole cancer experience has made my son a much more compassionate person. So there is some lemonade to be made.

    Yes Thursday is Gilda's and we are doing dinner instead of the regular meeting. I think we will have a lot of food, so come hungry. : )

    See you guys there!

    ReplyDelete