Monday, November 29, 2010

November 29th - My letter to cancer

I wrote a poem. It's not very good, I'm sure my 12 year old could do better, but I thought I would share it anyway.

My letter to Cancer

Attacking a young mother and wife without warning.
Trying to take my life slowly, put my family in morning.

Your tumors growing silently, killing my cells.
But no one who looks at me, would think I'm unwell.

To say that I "hate" you is not a strong enough word.
Thinking you will take this body is absolutely absurd.

But as your disease continues to put me to the test,
I've become closer to strangers then anyone would guess.

I am now good friends with people that I never knew.
Other survivors, fighters and supporters to see me through.

These cancer warriors are filled with love, caring and strength.
They will help me win the battle, no matter the length.

Because I certainly won't go down without a fight.
To die at such a young age, is simply not right.

I won't allow you to take my son's mother away.
So I will keep pushing harder, day after day.

5 comments:

  1. wow.
    keep fighting! You can beat this thing!
    strangers are rooting for you
    love from the other side of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful. Jess, keep that fighting spirit. Daughter-in-law, I am so proud and humbled by your determination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. its aweful that people have to got through this- and working in a hospital you see people that have self inflicted illness like lung cancer from smoking. It makes me angry.
    Keep fighting!

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have touched me deeply in my heart with this beautiful poem.
    I'm saying beautiful, but in fact it is so horrible what this disease is doing to you.
    I'm feeling that you are a fighter, but it is such an unfair fight!
    I love you my "little" fighter.

    Love and a warmhearted hug from Holland, Marianne de Boer, XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jess,

    So many things I would like to say to you and on the other hand perhaps I shouldn't. You're probably already swamped with, wellmeanth, advice and encouraging words. Fact is your scared, and I can understand that and it pains me to read your last tweet. We can all tell you you're gonna make it, but you don't know (that's what scares you, not?) and we all want that for you. The only thing I want to say, responding to your last tweet is, dó live like it is your last day, do the things that are good, important and fueling for yóu, in your way!(if you don't do that already)Am not telling you to give up, néver, that's up to you too.
    I wish you strenght and a great life!

    Tight 'Marshug', Charley (@uworoju)

    ReplyDelete