Thursday, November 11, 2010

November 11th - 2nd GND and flu in the house?

Had my second round of this chemo combo on Monday. No severe reaction to it like last time. Little bit of nausea but no vomiting, Yay! Just achy and tired, which I've grown accustom to now anyway.

Little bit of a scare on Tuesday. I woke up to find a new swollen lymph node in my neck. It was right above where the last cancerous one was taken out, I had an appointment at the doctor's office anyway for my neulasta injection, so I called and they said the doctor would see me if I just headed in a little earlier.

My doctor said that she believes it to be swollen in reaction to some sort of infection, not a new cancerous lymph node. Her plan was to wait a week and if it is still there to do an ultrasound and check it out. I of course, was freaking out and not willing to just take that as an answer. If the cancer is growing and popping up in new spots, then obviously the GND isn't working and we need to do something else right away! But I called my doctor at Sloan Kettering and he was in agreement with her. And when I spoke to the nurse there she asked me if anyone else around me was sick, because that might explain the swollen lymph node, but I told her no one was.

Tuesday afternoon, my 12 year old son came home from school complaining of a sore throat and a low grade fever. My husband took him to the doctors that evening and they tested him for strep throat which was negative. Since then he has gotten sicker and now his fever is hovering around 103. It's looking like he has the flu. I'm trying to stay away, but it's hard. No matter how much I'm concerned about my health, at the end of the day he's still my "baby" and I worry more about him then I do about myself.

The only good news is, this might explain the new swollen lymph node in my neck. I guess I just have to wait and see.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jessica, it's Tim from Gilda's club. It was great to meet you the other night... You're fight has been on my mind ever since. I'm planning on bringing my family to the fundraiser. Keep strong- we're all pulling for you!

    ReplyDelete