Tuesday, April 6, 2010

April 6th - My exciting 6th chemo!

Extremely eventful morning! First and foremost, today was my 6th treatment! That's right folks, SIXTH out of TWELEVE! Halfway point! Yay! That alone makes it a special day, but that was only the beginning...

So my chemo was scheduled for a Tuesday this week instead of my normal Monday routine, because my doctor is on vacation all week and her partner doesn't work Mondays. (Yes, I know, very small office, but I actually like it that way). Anyway, after my last chemo I was not given the Nuelasta, because my doctor wanted to see if that was causing the kidney (back) pain. So I knew going in, that because I didn't get the Nuelasta the last time, that this blood count was going to be low. But I had discussed this possibility with my doc last week and we decided that we would go ahead and do the chemo as planned and do the Nuelasta the next day.

So I go in this morning with a sore throat and stuffy nose and sure enough it was pretty damn low, a lot lower than I expected. My doctor's partner came into see me and he was 50/50 on how to proceed, he explained my options and pretty much left the decision up to me. Doing the chemo today was taking a risk, but delaying it is also taking a risk.

If I decide to delay it, this would be my second delay. The doctor explained that delaying it again would lower my cure rate, albeit, very slightly. It is important to keep your chemo on schedule as much as possible, especially with Hodgkin's. Hodgkin's cancer cells are very rapidly dividing cells, quicker then many other cancers. Therefore, you run the risk of the cancer spreading in between chemo treatments if they are given to far apart. Going through with treatment is risky because the Nuelasta (which will be given to me tomorrow) takes 5 days to work and the chemo given today is only going to make my white blood count drop further during that time. With little to no white blood cells, you run the risk of getting an infection and winding up in the hospital. I really wish MY doctor was there to talk to, but the nurse informed me that my doc had received my blood test results at home and was on board with whatever I decided. Being the daredevil that I am, I said go for it. I am praying that I made the right decision. I am quarantining myself to my bedroom!

But that was only the start of the fun. While I was getting my chemo, a bank right up the road from the office was robbed at gunpoint! The suspect got away with $40,000 dollars and was on the run, so the doctor's office was put on lock down! No patients in no patients out. A helicoptor was circling and the air raid sirens were blaring outside the windows! Finally the lock down was lifted and I got to leave. Believe me, the last place you want to be trapped is your oncology office. As much as I like the staff there, I associate the place with very bad things.

Anyway, wish me luck, from a distance. And if you do happen to see me, please don't sneeze or cough in my direction. : )

1 comment:

  1. Jessica, I think you made the right decision to get your chemo and shame on your doctor for not listening to you and not ordering Neulasta last time. The one thing I learned fighting cancer was to advocate for myself. Listen to your instincts, they are usually right. I am glad you know to be cautious until the Neulasta starts to work. I hope the bone pain isn't too bad this time. HOORAY FOR THE HALFWAY POINT!! You are getting there!!

    Angelique

    ReplyDelete