Monday, May 17, 2010

May 17th - Chemo #9 and PET scan results

First off, I should let everyone know that I had a great weekend. My symptoms were almost nonexistent and I was able to go out and walk my dogs and even do some yard work. It's nice to have these few good days in between, it makes me remember that I won't be dealing with this forever.

PET scan results from last week were good. The tumor in my chest is down to 1.5 cm with a small amount of uptake (for those of you not familiar with these tests, little uptake means not alot of cancer there). Also the cancer in my neck is listed as "resolved" Woo-hoo!

I was secretly hoping for it to show no uptake and for it all to be "resolved" but you know me, I always set the bar a little higher...but I still have 3 more chemos, and I am positive that it will show zero uptake when I am done with my 12th.

With the cancer still present, my doctor still can't say whether or not I will need radiation. That decision won't be made until all of my chemo treatments are complete and I have another PET Scan. I should be glowing like a Christmas tree after all this radiation : )

We are also going to treat my nausea a little more aggressively this time, since it was so bad the last time around. I will go back tomorrow and get my half shot of neulasta and different anti-nausea meds and IV fluids.

Of course with the good news comes some slightly not so good news. The doctor and I believe that my lungs may be receiving some damage from the chemo, albeit very slight. One of the chemo drugs I am on, can cause irreversible lung damage so it is common to test the lungs though out the treatments. I am going for my PFT's (Pulmonary Function Test) on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment