Friday, February 19, 2010

February 19th - Disappointing end to a turbulent week

I has been a very difficult week for me. Lots of highs and lows. It all started last Thursday with my trip to the ER and then the next 4 days in the hospital. I went in with severe acid reflux and vomiting. I was also very dehydrated. An endoscopy revealed a swollen esophagus and stomach, another fun side effect from chemo we are guessing? While I was in the hospital, I also spiked a fever, with no explanation. My blood counts were all relatively good, and it went away as mysteriously as it came. Spent four days on IV fluids, stomach and pain meds.

There was a silver lining...while I was in the hospital the doctor ordered a chest xray. The xray revealed that the mass of lymphoma in my chest shrank so significantly that it was not even visible! We were expecting it to shrink quickly, but not disappear so fast! So all of the side effects from the chemo are not being experienced in vain. As much as I feel like the chemo is killing me, it is actually saving my life. I guess you could say chemo and I have a love/hate relationship at this point.

I was released from the hospital on Sunday and the last few days have been quiet, with minimal side effects. Still have the severe acid reflux from time to time, but it doesn't last long. I even went into work on Wednesday and Thursday. So I was gearing up for my 3rd chemo this morning. Went to the oncologist's office and more bad news...white blood cell count is too low, can't do chemo. Damn. As funny as this might sound, I am so disappointed! I want this behind me more then anything and prolonging it is more torturous then just dealing with the stupid side effects.

I will go back in on Monday, by then the doctor believes my body will have produced more white blood cells and we will be able to do the chemo. And I will be given an injection of Nulasta (a white blood cell producing drug) following my chemo to prevent this from happening again.

6 comments:

  1. Listen Lady Gaga, your WBC's are going to drop. I know it is frustrating because it is prolonging the treatments but you are going to get there. I have a hunch they will give you neulasta after the next treatment and your WBC's wont drop as bad the next time. Look at what the chemo has done so far after only two treatments! Two weeks is really not alot of time for your body to rest between treatments so you may have set backs. My treatments were three weeks apart and my levels fell also. Time will go by and before you know it it will be spring and nearing the end of your treatments. I can't believe it has been a year since I finished mine.

    Have fun with the hair! This will be the only time you can get away with trying hair that you do not normally wear. I had a blast with my wigs and ended up with four.

    I love your blog and hang in there.

    Angelique

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms.hopeful.....I am glad you are home and working! I too have heartburn/acid reflux - and was relieved to see your post that it was just another ridiculous part of our lovely regime! You have been given great news on the shrinkage.....in some way, in what a blessing that you had the X-Ray.

    I love your blog - stay positive - you inspire me.

    So - have you taken a meditation class st Gildas?

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess,
    Missed you when you came to work on Wednesday and Thursday, but I was home sick - just the flu so nothing to complain about. Hang in there, you have a great attitude and I KNOW you are going to beat this with flying colors. Look how much inspiration you are giving others - that they are willing to run in a Marathon! You know me, the only way I would run is if someone bigger than me was chasing me (that's hard to imagine). Was so sad to hear that you were in the hospital last weekend, but was elated with the news that the tumor had shrunk so much already. Remember, I've said this time and time again - if you need anything call me.
    Love Tasia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathleen,

    Hope you are doing well with your treatments. I went to the Blood Cancer group again this month and people were asking about you.

    I haven't gotten a chance to take any of the classes at Gilda's. Haven't really felt up to it. Seems like they are always on weekdayds and I am trying to work still so the days I feel good I am going to work.

    Hopefully I will see you there again soon. You are in my prayers.

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear from you....I will attend the next support group meeting - I think it is next Wednesday? I had a school thing with my kids last month.

    I do get that Neuplasta shot after treatment..

    I tried to go to Yoga yesterday at Gildas but you have to be a member - that would have been pretty embarassing to show up in my cool new yoga outfit and been turned away. These classes are not made for working moms...it's at 10am...but I definately need some sort of meditation or something...

    How are you feeling this week?

    I was lousy last week - prednisone made me pyschotic for 2 days - but then it passed. You just gotta laugh - last night my big toe was throbbing so much i had to soak t at 4am...what the hell?

    Looking foward to seeing you!!

    OH - I went online for a chat session this week...not so sure it uplifted me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathleen,

    LOL, I haven't had the big toe thing happen yet! Sounds like an interesting side effect! You really do have to laugh at it all.

    Did you have any side effects from the Neulasta?

    Also, I don't have your email address. Can you send me an email so I can send you some info on a program you might be interested in?

    My email is missclerky@aol.com

    Thanks, Jessica

    ReplyDelete