Friday, July 9, 2010

July 8th - Post-chemo follow up

Okay this didn't go as I had anticipated. I am troubled by my appointment today, which is why I am writing this at 1 am! I need a little advice from my friends. My doctor doesn't want to do radiation on me as a preventative measure, assuming my next PET scan is clean. I have been told by many others that radiation is the standard after chemo in Hodgkin's treatment regardless of what the PET scan might show. I had a significant tumor in my chest going into this and it needs to be GONE. I haven't felt the need to question any of my doc's recommendations up to this point. But now I feel that I may need to get a second opinion. When I raised my concerns about foregoing the radiation, I felt like she dismissed them with a "Because I said so" approach, which was very surprising coming from her. She has had excellent bed-side manner up to this point and is usually very patient and willing to explain her convictions. The fact that I am even questioning her expertise troubles me. I feel like my oncologist has been my personal guardian angel through this. My faith and trust in my doctor has been unwavering, and tonight, I feel just as confused and scared as I did 6 months ago. When will the day come when I can put these "life or death" type decisions behind me?

2 comments:

  1. Hey it's Kathleen.....My radiologist was also very wishy washy in my radiation...in fact, I felt like I was telling him to give it to me. I am finished on Monday with 20 treatments....maybe yur doc. is saying no because the side effects of abdominal radiation are different than other sites...they scared me to death about nasuea, vomiting, diarrhea....and while I've had a bettter times, you do get through it. Dr. Doyle is my guy - get a second opinion from him.
    They truly don't see the research as being more than 50% worth it - I've heard from 2 diff. docs that it may or may not be necessary...hope this helps you a little!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jess,
    Just sittin' here thinking about you. Hope you are doing ok. Prayers coming your way. Much love...Diane

    ReplyDelete